Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Home Study Means Your Life in Paragraph Form

Chris and I just finished delving through the 30 page Home Study Profile that our caseworker put together. She let us "edit" it and send it back to be finalized. It was 30 pages of our life in paragraph form including everything from how we met, dated, and married, to characteristics of our siblings and parents, to our financial status, to a listing of the cars we drive.

Oh yeah, to back up, the home study caseworker came Thursday night. She called to see how I was feeling and when I said I was feeling better, she asked if she could come by in 30 minutes. She arrived at 7:00 p.m. and did not leave until 9:45. It was ALL an interview of Chris and I. She did walk through the house, but she didn't open any doors, drawers, or look under any beds. She was very nice, and we laughed a lot. She asked some of the hardest questions we have ever had to answer about discipline vs abuse, nurturing vs neglect, etc. I can't even remember all of the questions. But after reading her "findings" today on the Home Study Profile, Chris and I feel good about how she portrayed our marriage relationship, our religious and ethical beliefs, and our home environment.

I am probably more optimistic and hopeful than I have been in a really long time. I feel like the process is going smoother than expected, of course, as a friend said, we aren't to the "waiting" part yet. But you know, we really are. We've been "waiting" for our child for a long time. I feel that we are closer now than we have ever been, and that gives me a great sense of excitement. Chris and I talked today about the fact that as soon as the home study is complete (this week), all we have left to do is the parenting classes from September 18th to October 16th. I feel that since we have bathed this process in prayer, that the Lord is working everything out for us. I'm not stressed out like I usually am about things.

Reading the Home Study Profile was interesting. She wrote down everything we said, from little one-liners, to here is something funny- I got up to get a bottled water, and when she asked 'who does what around the house' Chris managed to say that we "Share the laundry, cleaning and cooking duties". LOL and that phrase made it into the report. He's funny.

Most of all, the Home Study Profile made me realize how blessed we are. She described us well, even though she only spent 2 1/2 hours with us. She also compiled a complete family history of all parents and siblings. We are very blessed to have such great parents and siblings.

I also want to thank our wonderful references. You have had to act quickly for the caseworker, and Chris and I truly appreciate it. We chose you as our references because we know that you know how earnestly we want a child and that you would help us get to that point in our lives no matter what it took.

Thanks for taking the time to read. I was so sick last week and it was the first week of school, so blogging wasn't the first thing on my mind. This week is going great. I have fantastic students and I am excited about this school year. Chris is doing great and we are so excited to be on this journey together.

Colossians 1:17 "He is before all things, and in Him, all things hold together."

No comments:

Post a Comment